Friday, October 29, 2010

FFwD: Marie-Hélène's Apple Cake

This week with French Fridays with Dorie was an French Apple Cake which recommends "divers" apples (meaning different kinds).  I used Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, and Jonagold.  The recipe also called for an 8" springform pan.  I only had a 9" so I decided to do the recipe 1 1/2 times.  I probably could have doubled it since my pan is 3" tall.  1 1/2 times the apples would have been 6 apples but I decided to only use 5.  Unlikes some apple cake recipes that have a smaller ration of apples to cake batter...this one is mostly apples covered in some cake batter!  I used Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum for the dark rum.  I figured the "spices" would go well with apples. 

I was very hard to let this cool off before eating.  I have to admit, hubby and I had a slice while it was still warm.  I had planned to make some homemade ice cream but time didn't allow for that.  So I did the next best thing - I got some good premium French Vanilla ice cream and let it thaw just a bit and swirled in some cinnamon.

It was yummy!!






3 comments:

  1. Oh, making double of the cake...drooling as I think of that! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I like how yours is so hearty looking. Good call increasing the recipe. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to know that increasing the quantity worked! Delicious & screams for ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete