Tuesday, October 26, 2010

FFwD: Hachis Permentier

I had made this a week early because we were going to be on vacation the week this was to post.  I got the picture all ready to go in a draft and thought I would send it from the hotel.  I never got on the internet the whole time we were gone (gasp!!) hehehe!! 

My version of sheppard's pie has always consisted of hamburger, tomato soup, green beans, mashed potatoes topped with cheese.  This 'Hachis Permentier" was a grown-up version.  My meat portion came out a bit runnier than I wanted and expected.  I didn't have tomato paste so I used ketchup.  I think the tomato paste would have thickened it a bit better and I think I could double that amount (maybe since I am used to my tomato soup version).

I used chopped steak and sausage as the meat filler and although I didn't think that combination sounded right...it was great!  I was able to find some Gruyere cheese and I really enjoyed it's flavor.  I sprinkled a bit of parsley flakes on top of mine to give a little more color.

As many of the FFwD members commented - this dish did required lots of different pans/dishes but finally combining into one.  I didn't mind that too much because I was able to do clean-up while it finished baking.  

Apple Cake coming up next with FFwD!!


No comments:

Post a Comment