Friday, October 1, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie: Gougeres

This is my first blog post ever...(so hopefully I will learn a lot...fast!)

I wanted to start this blog to follow the baking group French Fridays with Dorie.  Gougeres is our first recipe in Dorie Greenspan's new book Around My French Table.  This recipe was picked by Dorie.

Gougeres are basically cheese puffs.  They are really easier to make than you would expect.  I made the full recipe, but it was too many for me and my husband.  I baked half the batch and froze the other half (scooped them onto a baking tray, froze until solid then packed them in a freezer bag).  It was easy to eat several of these cheesy puffs...but we were not able to eat all of the ones I baked.  The remaining ones we ate the following night - just warm back up in the oven.  They tasted just as good as fresh from the oven.  My husband loves food that is light and airy...these were a hit!



I also enjoyed reading Dories story connected with gougeres.  Of course we also had to have the full experience and try the recommended drink served with gougeres - Kir.







10 comments:

  1. Your gourgeres are beautiful! Reading Dorie's stories are one of my favorite things about her cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job! This will be a fun group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful gourgeres and great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to blogging! Our gougeres pans look oddly similar, check it out: http://www.katrinascucina.com/2010/10/gougeres-spanish-style.html
    Looking forward to blogging along with you at FFWD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great first post! Your gougeres look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to blogging. Your gougeres look perfect.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to blogging! Your gorgeres are beautiful! How was the kir?

    ReplyDelete
  8. For this being your first ever blog post, you certainly hit it out of the park!!! Excellent job and congratulations on your new blog and your wonderful looking gougeres! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, even if you weren't new at it. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the lovely comments and encouragement!!

    Katrina - Our silpats and baking trays look the same!

    Candy Girl - the Kir. My husband and I are still finding those wines we like. The first batch of Kir we made, we used a Chardonnay from a local winery. It was very strong!! We tried it as a "before dinner drink"...I almost couldn't get the food off the grill!! :o) We thought we would try a different flavor mixer with the Creme de Cassis...we went looking for champagne at our local grocer (they didn't have any) and got Sparkling Raspberry Wine...it was REAL good with that. We'll keep experiementing!!

    ReplyDelete